Friday, February 7, 2014

Pillow Collective Blog Hop!! People… meet the Scrap Fan!


I think it's pretty obvious that I like a pillow (cough, cough my book.), so... of course I accepted the fabulous invitation to participate in this hop!!  A huge thanks to Miss Amy for thinking of me and wanting me to play along!  Kiss, kiss lady!!

Okay… now let's talk pillow for minute, k!  Pillows are rad for a really great reason… you can try out a pattern before actually committing your time & finances to a larger project and before you know it you're going to want to pull out your hair half way through it.  I think you can all relate, or we wouldn't all have those damn WIPs laying around everywhere, right!  Right.

So, I took that very advice to heart with this hop and tried out a new (actually it's SUPER old) pattern and gave it a modern twist.  Hence… The Scrap Fan!!  Grandmother Fan's are a traditional pattern that caught my eye recently and I knew if I didn't just make one, it'd bug the shit out of me.  So, one I did!


I will ONLY be posting links to the main portion of this pattern... as to not waste my time or disrespect the original blogger's post by rewriting a perfectly good tutorial.  I'll will be addressing what I changed to keep this project on target for the goal only, a pillow with a scrappy twist.  Okey dokey peeps…  here we go!

Please read this tutorial before reviewing my additions to it. 

Printing off your template from this link.


See the template with a "F" on it?… throw that crap away! It was dumb and I liked the original tutorial much better for beginners!!  Way less tricky!  Trust me!!


Now grab some of those endless scraps!  Sew a group of them together, trim and press.  Remember, wonky's nice sometimes and this is one of them!





Using your template cut your first fan out!


Already, have some pre-made strips in your scrap piles, use that shit!


Just keep at it until you have the 8 fans that the pattern calls for.  I made a rainbow with mine.  I never do that, make rainbows.  LOL  I'll probably, be shipping this pillow off.  :P



Now, here's where things got interesting.  I like where the original tutorial had this block become appliqué, so I stuck with that theory… but I cut my block backing to 10" X 10".  I then stitched my fan onto it by using a zig zag stitch as suggested.


I then trimmed my appliquéd block down to 9" X 9".  Nice and crisp.


Your actually done with your "Scrappy Fan" portion of this tutorial, but if you'd like to continue onto making a pillow top (raise your hands peeps!)  Then cut (2) 9" X 9" and (2) 9" X 20" pieces of background fabrics.  Sew the (2) square pieces first using 1/4" seem allowance.  Then the rectangle pieces.  Feel free to fold your rectangles in half to create a guide for yourself to center your strips!!


TaDa!  Now trim your pillow top down to 18 1/4" square.


I used the "9" as my center point on the mat to secure that my fan was centered.


and Boom!  There is my Scrappy Fan pillow top!!


I then pulled it off my design wall real fast like (I was excited)… sandwiched it, quilted it, attached a simple envelope back and then patted myself on the back.  I was very proud of my "rainbow moment"  Haha!! 





And that's it!!  I'm definitely thinking I'd like a quilt out of these babies.  They were pretty fun to make and you could really use up a large amount of scraps on one fo sho!!  Hope you liked my spin on a traditional classic!!  Want more pillows??… Check out these other cool kids and their designs!! 

Cheers kids!!
XXxx, Heather


  • Amy Ellis
  • April Rosenthal
  • Lisa Calle
  • Natalia Bonner
  • Megan Bohr
  • Amanda Woodruff
  • Heather Valentine
  • Amy Smart
  • Vanessa Christenson
  • Maureen Cracknell
  • Amanda Jean Nyberg
  • Dana Bolyard
  • Christina Lane
  • Heather Bostic
  • Audrie Bidwell
  • Amanda Herring
  • 10 comments:

    1. Oh! I love this one! Imagine it in toned colours to suit a particular colour scheme! Gorgeous!

      ReplyDelete
    2. so pretty - I love this. I have planned something like this for the Pantone colour challenge :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. Isn't it fabulous! Thanks for your time putting this together : )

      ReplyDelete
    4. LOVE your tutorial Heather! Thanks for sharing with us :)

      ReplyDelete
    5. hello dear. you have very nice blog. I love it <3
      tell me what about follow each other, I always follow back so let me know (>‿♥)
      xoxo from Spain
      www.thegrisgirl.blogspot.com.es

      ReplyDelete
    6. Thanks for taking time for sharing this article, it was excellent and very informative. It's my first time that I visit here. I found a lot of informative stuff in your article. Keep it up. Thank you.
      With this information I got in you here in this discussion I think I might finally Know what I am going to do

      Top Ten Web Hosting Reviews

      ReplyDelete
    7. Wow! Thank you so much, this is beautiful!

      ReplyDelete
    8. Awesome Creativity. Thanks for sharing

      ReplyDelete
    9. Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed
      reading it, you are a great author.I will make sure to
      bookmark your blog and will come back later in life.
      I want to encourage that you continue your great work,
      have a nice evening! Obat penggugur kandungan

      ReplyDelete
    10. Thank you for sharing the tutorial!! awesome pillow!

      ReplyDelete

    We ♥ our peeps and it’s a rare day that you won’t hear from us if you leave a message! Talk with ya soon!!

     
    SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS